Our vision is a world in which people with a serious illness will, from the very outset until the end of their lives, have access to a constantly improving level of high quality care and support whenever and wherever needed. Training in palliative care plays a pivotal role in making this vision a reality.
Obstacles to palliative care training in Greece
Unfortunately, palliative care:
- Does not form a core part of undergraduate degrees for health professionals in Greece, with the exception of nursing degrees within the last few years.
- There are only a limited number of postgraduate programmes in palliative care in Greece
Training in palliative care requires interdisciplinary collaboration and an approach centred on team-work and problem-solving, all of which involve specific communication skills.
In order to fill the gaps in training in palliative care in Greece and to realise our aim of constantly improving care:
- Every year we hold training seminars on basic palliative care for health professionals
- We hold a regular programme of talks on palliative care
- We provide training in palliative care to volunteers
- We organise training visits and tours of our facilities
We constantly update the skills of the members of our interdisciplinary team.