Vision and Aims
The vision of all of us at “Galilee” is for palliative care in Greece to be made the right of every patient who needs it, as it is in other countries.
The Galilee Palliative Care Centre was founded with the aim of promoting the philosophy of palliative care in Greece, and in order to meet the individual needs and wishes of each patient by:
- Offering access to specialised high-quality medical, nursing, and psychosocial care
- Preventing symptoms
- Relieving symptoms
- Providing psychological and social support to
Galilee Palliative Care Centre promotes the values of dignity and respect, embracing life at every stage.
Our aim is to enable patients to lead as independent lives as possible and for them to be able to look after themselves.
We want them to be able to keep as active as and autonomous as possible, with the least possible dependence on their caregivers so that they can actively participate in everything that they love and cherish.
In pursuit of this vision, our aims are:
- To continue to offer free palliative care services and to extend this provision to even more people suffering from cancer and ALS, whether in their own homes, at the Day Care Centre or the residential Hospice;
- To extend palliative care services to patients suffering from other life-threatening diseases such as cardiopulmonary disease, kidney disease, dementia etc., as well as to the elderly;
- To shape the necessary legislative framework for the development, operation and improvement of palliative care units;
- To share our knowledge and experience with other organisations interested in setting up palliative care units in Greece.
- To promote research and education in the field of palliative care both on a national and international level;
- To educate people with regard to self-care and volunteering;
- To continually improve the quality of care and support that we provide to others, based on international standards.